History of LCSWCD
In 1944, Licking County land owners petitioned the state of Ohio to create the Licking County Soil & Water Conservation District (LCSWCD). Local districts were created to partner with state and federal agencies in order to assist land owners in conserving natural resources. In the early years, programs focused on helping farmers reduce excessive soil erosion. As the county’s land uses changed, additional programs focused on protecting all natural resources.
LCSWCD and its five-member Board of Supervisors provide leadership through strategic planning, partnerships and conservation programs. Partners include the federal Natural Resources Conservation Service, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and Licking County and other local governments. The District provides technical assistance to landowners, homeowners, businesses and agricultural producers, reviews construction plans for urban development and promotes farmland preservation.
The District also provides education and outreach programs for children and adults. It holds an annual seedling tree sale, hosts field days, FFA soil judging, and Envirothon competitions, and provides educational programs for the Natural Resources Area at the Hartford Fair. The District also provides individualized information to hundreds of customers requesting assistance each year.
The landscape of Licking County is changing. Owners of the land are changing. Use of the land is changing. Technology is changing. As these changes occur, the District feels it is vital that soil and water resources are conserved and sustained. The District encourages everyone to use these resources wisely for the benefit of this generation and future generations.